Thursday, January 20, 2011

pot pies

On the way home from school today the girl we carpool with was talking about how her mom was making homemade potpie tonight for her brother's birthday. When we got home Hannah says, hey mom, remember those things you bought once at the store, they had like pie crust and then vegetables and meat inside. I'm like, yeah, potpies. She asks if we can please get some the next time we go to the store. So I say fine.

This afternoon we go to get our groceries and Hannah spots the things with the pie crust filled with vegetables and "meat" and so I put a couple in the cart. I'm seriously trying to hide them under my other groceries though in case I bump into a friend. I definitely did not want those things visible!

So we get to the check out lane and my kids are helping load the groceries and being super helpful. The guy checking us out was some teenager and he was super friendly, chatting the whole time. Then Hannah starts LOUDLY talking our potpies... Oh my, my face has never been so RED! The people behind me are smiling politely as I tell them she's probably only eaten those things twice in her life. Then the guy at the check out says, those things are...and I quote..."da bomb." OK-- I'm pretty sure that phrase went out in 1998 but I wasn't gonna be the one to tell him. At least he was complimenting my potpies.

I'm not sure why I was so embarrassed about my whole potpie experience. I mean, sue me, I let my kids eat potpies once a year. Anyway, I was just glad to be out of there!

1 comment:

Isaac said...

I'm not sure I understand. What is wrong with Pot Pies?