Wednesday, October 7, 2009

House: Kitchen Cabinets/Paint

I talked with our stain guy today and am feeling MUCH better about our kitchen cabinets. We are getting Birch cabinets but we really wanted them to be a dark brown color. I was getting nervous about them b/c our house is going to be complete in less then 6 weeks now and we haven't even finalized our stain colors. Dick, the stain guy, was very helpful and is going to make me samples of stain on birch wood so I'll know exactly what they'll look like. We're also still deciding on what kind of paint to get. If we upgrade from flat to Semi-gloss it's an additional $1700. Yeah, steep price huh? So, tell me what you think, do we go with just flat paint which is easier to touch up, or do we spend the extra money for semi-gloss which is easier to clean?

I'll try to post pictures later this week of the house progress. It's fully sided and insulation is going in. I haven't been by to see it in over a week so I'm hoping I'll get a chance soon! I can't believe we're so close to the end! I can't WAIT to be in that house!

3 comments:

Denise said...

Jake says semigloss all the way. If all you are going to do is fight the flat, it's not worth it.

Have fun! Six weeks, how exciting!

Shari said...

My parents had flat in their house when I was growing up and mom was always complaining about how dirty they looked. And them my little sister decided writing on the walls was a good idea! She could never get the ink/crayon/marker off the walls (I think it was there until she was able to repaint!)

Corinne Doughan said...

Semigloss, semigloss, SEMIGLOSS!

We have flat paint right now in our townhome and I HATE it!!!! Anything and everything marks it up ... it may be easy to touch up (if you have the right color match ... the previous residents didn't so we have subtle polka dots on some of our walls), but you'll be touching up ALL of the time ... finger prints, food marks, places where a chair accidentally scraps the wall, hotwheels car marks, Jackson has grey spots on the wall by his bed because he sleeps so close to the wall, etc.

All of those little marks are DRIVING me CRAZY!!!

Do semigloss Rachel! You'll be happier with it in the end.