Thursday, September 10, 2009

Garage update

First of all let me start by saying that after my initial response to our driveway issues I've had some time to reflect on how I acted. Chris and I had a good discussion about why we were so upset about the driveway not being the way we had planned. I think part of the reason that we were upset (or rather, I was upset) is because we're paying a lot of money to have a house built the way we want it. I guess I just assume that if I'm paying someone to build the house that I want I expect them to build the house the way I want.

Anyways, Chris and I both just talked about how we could bring glory to God in this situation. How could we live with this driveway and not let it bug us every time our kids went out to ride their trikes? It was good to think about what it is that fulfills my life and makes me content? Is is having a comfortable life? Is it being in control? Is it having the perfect house? It's so easy to say that my contentment rests fully in Christ and what he has done for me and not in the things I have or the way my life is going, but when the rubber hits the road what do I do? Do I get mad and demand my way, or do I come back to Christ and I say, "all I have is yours, please show me how to have joy in you alone, not in my perfect house."

So, with these thoughts in mind we decided to meet with our builder out at the building site so that we could talk through our options with him. I, of course, was feeling quite sick; it's never fun to tell someone you don't like their work, however, we're planning on living in this home for a long time so we just wanted to talk things through. Chris helped with the talking and the discussion went really well. We weren't defensive or mad, we just tried to work out what we could do to fix the situation. In the end Ed, our builder, said that he would rip out the entire garage, foundation and all and lower it for us so that our driveway would be flat. I felt sudden relief...although I still feel bad that he is paying several thousand dollars to fix the mistake. But as my husband tells me, "that's just business Rachel."

Regardless of how the driveway turns out I am thankful that God loves me enough to gently remind me to find my contentment and joy fully in Him! I pray that God will continue to challenge me to grow more and more into a woman after his own heart.

1 comment:

Corinne Doughan said...

Oh good. Chris is right ... I know it seems like an expensive fix for them, but think of how much money they would have lost if they DIDN'T fix it and you never gave anyone a positive referral to their business ... they'd loose WAY more money than it costs to do the drive way the right way. I bet next time though they'll make sure it was done correctly the first time. :)