Friday, September 11, 2009

Mail Tampering

Chris is turning 30 this year and I wanted to surprise him with something really great to celebrate. So, over A YEAR ago I get this great idea to get him tickets to watch his favorite hockey team, The Red Wings, play the Colorado Avs. It's perfect because Chris's sister lives in Denver so we can stay all weekend for pretty cheap. Great, because I wanted to get him front row tickets which are a little spendy so it'd be nice to not have to pay as much for lodging. I start saving every penny I make (which for a stay-at-home mom without a paying job takes dedication).

Finally it's about two months before his birthday so I check out the tickets online. Perfect, the game is on a weekend our church is having a woman's retreat. I'm a little bummed I can't go on the retreat but it's a perfect cover, Chris won't plan anything that weekend b/c he's suppose to be on kid patrol while I'm away with the ladies. I look online, talk to my brother-in-law and brother in Germany to find out exactly what seats they think I should buy. I decide that I want to get front row seats...the row directly behind the players. It's not everyday you turn 30 and it's not everyday we get to go watch an NHL hockey game. I order the tickets. Chris never checks our credit card statement so I pay for them that way. Fed Ex is suppose to deliver the tickets to my door, which is perfect b/c I'm at home...all the time.

Yesterday I take the kids to the park and as we're playing I see the Fed Ex truck drive buy. I quick grab the kids and head home, remembering that my tickets were going to be delivered that day. I rush as fast as I can but I miss him. They leave a ticket on the door telling me that they'll be back tomorrow. OK, we're still in good shape, I'll be home tomorrow afternoon which is when I'm guessing they'll come.

Friday comes and we're out all morning running errands, I don't see any notice on the door so I figure they haven't made it to our house yet. At 2 pm I get a call from a friend asking me to make a meal for another friend who just had surgery. I get occupied with scrounging up something to cook for them, go get Hannah from preschool, stop at McKinneys for some last min. groceries and head home. I wait, no FedEx guy. Chris gets home and I completely forget about my tickets, I put the meal in the car and take off. I deliver the meal successfully and head home. As I round the corner to my house I see the FedEx truck. My heart stops. Please, oh please, let me get inside before Chris opens the package. I run inside, open the door and I see Chris. "Honey, I'm SO sorry." That's all he had to say. I tare inside, grab the package and go to my room. I just didn't know what to do, I was so disappointed, and a little mad that he opened the envelope addressed to "Mrs. Rachel Wassenaar."

As soon as Chris knocks on the door I open it of course and start bawling. He gives me a big huge hug and says "I am SO PUMPED to go that game." Then I get to explain the whole story of how I saved my money for over a year and got him FRONT ROW tickets to the game. I got over being bummed and he's had a HUGE grin on his face all night. At least this way he will get to look forward to the game.

On a side note, we were eating dinner and Hannah starts crying. Apparently Chris told Hannah she could open the package and when she pulled out the tickets Chris only saw the back and thought it was some coupons I had ordered. Then she flipped them over and his first thought was "Oh crap!" ...but then he was super excited. Oh yeah, back to the side note. Hannah was crying because she saw me crying and felt bad for opening my mail. I reassured her that I wasn't mad, I just wanted to get to see Daddy's face when he got the tickets. But all is good now. Chris got the tickets and we're looking forward to a weekend in Colorado and especially looking forward to our AWESOME seats at the Wings game.

2 comments:

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

I totally would have cried, too! You are so sweet to do this for Chris...have a great time!

Corinne Doughan said...

You're the best wife EVER Rachel!!! :)