Friday, July 31, 2009

pantry challenge

We're moved into our little rental house and adjusting to life here. The house has plenty of space for us, with the exception of our kitchen. It's tiny. I'm OK with that because we're only here for four months, however, it has made cooking and baking a little more challenging. For one, I don't have all my dishes out because there simply isn't room for them. Storing groceries is the other issue. We have one small cabinet and the rest of my food I have on top of my fridge and out on my counters, and if you know me at all you know that this is not how I normally keep my kitchen.

Anyway, this brings me to the task on hand; the pantry challenge. I went grocery shopping on Monday and should probably make another trip today. But Hannah has swim lessons at 10 am and that just completely breaks up the morning. Either I have to go shopping at 6 am (not gonna happen) or I need to go after nap. I have done that before but I prefer not to because I have to get the kids going as soon as they wake up and they're still cranky and groggy. Plus, I end up getting home right at dinner time with a trunk full of groceries that need to be unloaded and put away before I even begin thinking about what we're gonna eat. So last night I'm telling Chris about my dilemma (I know, I have such big issues in life) and he says, "You just need to take the pantry challenge" (moneysavingmoms idea) and you know what? I'm gonna do it.

Here's the challenge: I will not go grocery shopping for another week (which is almost 2 weeks without stepping foot into a grocery store.) I'll be creative and make meals from the food we already have on hand. Remember, we have a small kitchen so I haven't been able to stock pile food, I pretty much just buy what I need for that week so this could be interesting. But I'm up for the challenge. It will save me 75 bucks and a trip to the grocery store. (It'll also clean out room in my already cramped "pantry" for new groceries the next trip).

I'll be posting pictures everyday of what we eat and letting you know how the progress goes.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Hey Rachel. It's always funny to me how I think that I'm the only one who can't figure out the best time to go grocery shopping around naptime and dinner time and such and then find out someone else has exactly the same dilemma. And also that it really is a dilemma that we spend lots of time trying to figure out. :)
I like your pantry challenge and think I might try it out also, although I'm already feeling weak as I sit here contemplating that.

Corinne Doughan said...

Hey! I do the pantry challenge all the time when I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store (having only one car contributes to that too). I've made some pretty good meals doing it to ... although I don't think I will ever be able to repeat them because usually I forget to write them down. Good luck!!!