Saturday, January 10, 2009

My night

Last night I got home from bookgroup around midnight, which is pretty normal. I figure if I get home and am in bed by 1am I still have a good six hours sleep before my kids wake up. Of course last night right after I get home Caden starts crying. He's been sleeping through the night for over a year so this is not normal....although lately it's becoming a little more normal. (Maybe it's teething, maybe it's nightmares, I just don't know, the kid's only a year so he doesn't exactly tell me why.) He cries for all of about a minute and goes back to sleep. Chris and I ended up talking a while and we don't get to bed until about 1:30 am. Ok, I'm still in good shape, by the time I fall asleep I'll still have five hours of sleep, not my ideal but it'll work.

I barely drift off to sleep and I hear it again, Caden's crying, a little longer this time. So now I'm thinking "what's wrong? is he sick, did he pee through his diaper again??" I let him cry it out and he falls back asleep. At 4am I hear him again so I think I better check to see if he's OK. I get him some motrin, rock him back to sleep and put him back in his crib. He sleeps until 5;30am and starts crying again... so I give in, go to his room, pick him up and just hold him... the rest of the night.

I gave up trying to figure out what was wrong, I stopped thinking about how I was gonna function the next day on only 2 hours of sleep, I quit worrying about what I was gonna do the next night if it happened again (and trust me, this is not normal for me). But at least for one night I just held my little baby boy. I know these times will be ending soon and I want to enjoy every minute of it. I just rocked him and prayed for him and watched him sleep and guess what? He woke up with the HUGEST grin on his face!....who knows, maybe he just needed a little cuddle time from his mommy! :)

3 comments:

andrea said...

awww...

Corinne Doughan said...

this is a good reminder for me Rachel ... thanks

sl said...

Rachel, I loved your posts. It'll be great keeping up with you guys this way. You check our blog, right? If not, email me and I'll give you the site. Beautiful pictures, by the way, you all look great! Cute pic of the ham vs. Caden in the roasting pan :) Adorable! Love ya! Lisa