Thursday, January 22, 2015

I've decided to start blogging again after a two year hiatus. Quite honestly, I don't know how many people actually read my blog, but I've realized writing things out helps me sort through my emotions. Plus, my kids have LOVED reading through old blogs and just laughing at the funny things they did as little kids. I'm at home more these days because of Big D so I thought it'd be a good time to join the blog world again.

I know, I know. RachelWassenaar.blogspot.com....real creative, right? I will change it someday, but I'm not tech savvy AT ALL so it'd probably take me a half hour to figure out to how to retitle this thing and let's be honest, I don't have hours to sit around messing with my blog title. I've only got small windows of time when Dawsy decides to sleep so I just need to crank this thing out!

So, without further ado, here I go.

My alarm was buzzing AGAIN! I hit snooze, because that's how I roll. I just can't, no matter how hard I try, get out of bed when the alarm goes off. I just HAVE to snooze a little longer. I normally start praying through the day and today was no different. As I was praying I was just feeling overwhelmed. I'm tired. I know that many moms would be THRILLED if their 4 month old would sleep 10 hour at night, but I just really need him to sleep 12! He's done it before so I know he will consistently someday, but for now I'm still waking up most mornings between 4 and 5 to feed him. Have you seen him? The dude is HUGE, so yes, he probably does need some milk to fill that ginormous belly of his! :) But SERIOUSLY? Can a girl get some rest up in this place?? The problem is that after he wakes up I can't get back to sleep, I think about all that needs to be done in my day and about the all the things I didn't get done the day before. Ugh. All that to say, I'm tired, and as I was laying in bed praying through my day I just started wondering what the point of all this was.

Same routine every day. Wake up. Feel exhausted. Get big kids up and ready for school. Rush around like chicken with head cut off until we finally make it out the door. Rush home from school and repeat everything I did the day before. Laundry, dishes, meal prep, nurse baby, change diapers, more laundry, run errands, go pick up big kids from school. Try to entertain three people, referee fights while trying to remain sane, make dinner, help with piano, homework, tuck kids (have you TRIED putting three kids to bed?? Well, it's no quick task!), get a few minutes with your husband and flop into bed exhausted. Only to wake up and repeat the same thing AGAIN!

As I lay quietly in my bed I prayed God would give me a new perspective. Oh God, change my heart to see each day as a gift. Help me to treasure every little person that you put in my life. Give me the strength to live for you and glorify your name no matter what the day throws at me. And then I remembered what our youth pastor said on Sunday. "What you do matters! WHAT YOU DO MATTERS!!!" He was preaching on a passage in Exodus on the birth of Moses. The midwives were commanded to kill every baby boy that was born, but the midwives feared God and so did not kill the babies. I bet those midwives didn't always feel like they were living out a grand purpose. But God mentions them BY NAME in the second chapter of Exodus. And through their obedience to God, Moses lived and became the man whom God raised up to set his people free. WOW! WHAT YOU DO MATTERS!

God is using our lives. In the seemingly mundane everyday life, God is using it to accomplish his purposes! That changes things doesn't it??

Ephesians 2:10
"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Colossians 3:23
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving"

Thank you Lord for your gentle reminder to me this morning that my life has purpose. Thank you for the good works that you have already prepared for me to do. Thank you for the very noble task you have given me of being a wife and mother to three. Set my eyes on YOU!

Amen.

Ok, let another crazy day commence!

No comments: