Tuesday, October 4, 2011

snack and share

A couple times a month Hannah has to bring a snack to share with her class. She also gets to bring a special toy or stuffed animal from home to show for show-and-tell that day. So on Friday Hannah comes home with the new October snack schedule and of course she's the first snack girl for the month, which means, she needs 20 snacks by Monday. I find this out on Friday night. Saturday, I ran a race the ENTIRE day...seriously. We were literally RUNNING for almost 11 hours straight. Which doesn't exactly leave you with much time or energy for snack shopping. But some how I manage to find the time to run to the store and pick up a couple boxes of granola bars. Crisis averted. And, the best part is that even though Sunday was a little busy (worship team, teaching Sunday School and hosting Small group at our house that night) I still managed to have everything in order for school the next day. Lunch packed. Papers signed. Snack in backpack.

When I go pick up Hannah from school she tells me about her day and how it's a good thing that Brooke was sick because I only sent 16 snacks. Ok--not that big of a deal, but I was feeling very much like a failure because her teacher has told us a million times to send 20 snacks! I just thought each box had 10 granola bars. I guess it only had 8. Then she goes on about how poor Teagan couldn't eat her snack because she has a peanut allergy. WHAT? Now I am actually very sensitive to kids with peanut allergies because one of Hannah's very good friends is severely allergic to them. I check every label and always try to get snacks that are peanut allergy free. However, I SPECIFICALLY remember thinking that Hannah must not have any peanut allergies in her class because her teachers has NEVER told us that. (well...if she did I just obviously missed it.) And if they did have a kid with a peanut allergy they certainly should have mentioned that!

I get home from gymnastics and the first thing out of my dear husbands mouth is "what happened with snack time today? Hannah's teacher sent home an email reminding parents to bring 20 snacks and to remember that they have a child allergic to peanuts in their class."

I felt HORRIBLE. I felt like an insensitive, irresponsible parent....and I'M NOT!!!!!

Just had to get that off my chest. I messed up snack horribly. I honestly didn't know about any such allergies and I just didn't check the number of granola bars in the box.

Here's to hoping that next time around snack times goes a little better.

No comments: