Wednesday, March 24, 2010

green smoothies



My kids are pretty good eaters most of the time. And while they're not crazy about vegetables they'll eat what's required of them. But let's be honest, what kid is begging for more spinach? Now, I'll be the first to admidt that cooked spinch is definitely not on my list of favorite vegetables of all time (unless of course it's mixed with sour cream, parmesean cheese and artichokes!) I just can't get over the texture of cooked leaves. I think it's because I lived in New Guinea and had to eat hairy cooked pumpkin leaves, cold, on several occasions.

At any rate, I have found a way to get my kids, myself and yes, even my husband, to take in massive amounts of healthy green spinach. Green smoothies. I got the recipie from a friend at bookgroup and you HAVE to try them. So, here's what you do

Fill a blender full of fresh spinach
Add one bag of frozen strawberries (or any fruit you like, we've tried adding blueberries and bananas, but strawberries are our favorite)
Pour in about 1-2 cups of 100% apple juice

Blend it all together and you'll NEVER know that you are eating spinach. Plus, you are getting a lot more spinach then you would get just eating a salad, because it's all juiced down.

Try them, you'll like them and so will your kids. Yeah, you can all thank me when you're kids are begging for spinach smootheis! :)

NOTE: You may not want to mention to your children (or husband) what exactly is going into these smoothies until you've got them hooked! :)


2 comments:

Corinne Doughan said...

We LOVE making green smoothies. We also like to add yogurt to them to add a little bit of protein.

jenlar3 said...

We love a delicious salad with fresh spinach leaves, strawberries, pecans and creamy poppyseed dressing. Another way to get lots of fresh spinach down the gullet!! Mandarin oranges also work well with this salad. (drain well)