Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Potty training

I dread potty training. I don't why, it went pretty smoothly with Hannah, it's just one of those things that I DON'T like to do. At least when they're wearing a diaper it's contained in a small area. Plus, you're not taking them to the potty all the time, which isn't that big of a deal when you're at home, but when you're in the check out lane at Walmart with half your groceries still in your cart....then, yeah, not so fun.

Anyway, Caden has been pooping and peeing regularly on the potty for the past six months, so I finally decided that I have GOT to potty train that kid.

Day one: One accident...kind of. I noticed that he was a little wet so I put him on the potty and he actually did still pee.

By the way, we just moved into a new house and since I don't want little pee spots all over our carpet I put him in his underwear with a diaper over top. (Thanks for the tip Maria). He looked HILARIOUS with his blue boxer briefs with a diaper over top. And he just happened to be wearing his "chick magnet" shirt. Man, I should have taken a picture of that.

Day two: NO ACCIDENTS, yet anyway. I was SO brave and even went to the bank and the store with him in his underwear.

So far it's going well. But I know that tomorrow is coming and since I'm on the second time around with potty training a child I know that just because we don't have accidents today doesn't mean we won't have any tomorrow.

By the way, if you have any advice on potty training I'd love to hear it. All I'm doing is letting him wear underwear and setting him on the potty every so often. I've noticed that if he sits willingly he really does have to go. He normally only fights me if he really doesn't have to go. So, I kinda go with his mood and so far it's working out.

Now if I can just get him to tell me when he has to go, that would be awesome!

4 comments:

Kim said...

How old is Caden again? Thatcher is just 2 and show absolutely no signs of even wanting to learn so I was just curious as to how old Caden is. I am with you though, I potty trained a girl, but don't really know how to do a boy??

Corinne Doughan said...

I honestly don't think there's a differencee between potty training a boy vs. a girl EXCEPT that girl accidents are a lot messier than boys when it comes to pee (I've noticed that boys' pee doesn't trickle down their legs like girls').

Anyway, I think what helped with Jackson was taking him VERY regularly at first (maybe even every 1 -2 hours the first 5 - 7 days) so that I could figure out what his natural potty routine was ... meaning I took him every hour but then took note of when he was actually going.

Once I figured that out I've continued with that routine for probably 6 months to year. For example, his natural potty times were in the morning when he woke up, after breakfast, before lunch, before nap time, after nap time, before dinner and before bedtime (I also made sure he tried to go potty before we left the house to go anywhere to minimize the accidents).

Once he showed me signs of being able to hold it and that he really knew when he had to go and when it became much easier to physically pull his pants down, etc. I let him have the freedom to go potty whenever he needed to (expect right before bed of course).

ALSO, that was the time that I was very careful about how much and when Jackson had drinks. I pretty much limited them to meal times and cut all liquids an hour before his bedtime (we still do that) to prevent night time accidents.

Corinne Doughan said...

p.s. sorry that comment was so long ... I have a blog on potty training if you're interested.

Rachel said...

Kim, Caden is 26 months old. About six months ago I could tell that he was about to poop so I put him on the potty and he went...didn't fight me at all. Since then we've been putting him on in the morning and night and now he hardly ever poops in his diaper. I've heard horror stories about potty training boys so I'm surprised it's going as well as it is. My only advice is...if they're not ready it probably wont' work.